Sunday, July 13, 2008

I &hearts iPhone

Taking a cue from my sister, I've decided to post my iPhone-obtaining adventure.

My original plan was to head to the AT&T store here in my town at about 6 A.M. to get in line for the iPhone. I was online IMing with a fellow late-stayer-upper friend of mine, MG, at around 1:30 AM. He was bored and hungry so he decided to head out to Jack in the Box and drove past the AT&T store to scope out the situation. He called me and said there were already about 40 people in line, so I told him to get in line and that i'd be there shortly. I got some lawnchairs, blankets, pillows, a book of crossword puzzles, and some food.

And thus, I camped out in front of AT&T. Our outgoing natures allowed MG and I to befriend everyone around us in line. In front of us were two twenty-year old guys, a thirty-something of Latin descent (who we later discovered is a daddy), and behind us was a doo-rag wearer who used to be in the army. We all became friends, played cards, etc. It was kind of breakfast club-ish; a very random group of people united by one random experience. At some point, one of the twenty-year olds went home and got a humongous air mattress. it was bigger than a king-size. At this point, my outgoingness bought me two hours of sleep on an air mattress on a sidewalk. I kept safe distance from my new but still strange friends of course, and MG stayed awake.

BTW, at this point, let me point out that MG rocked as a friend that night. He wasn't even getting an iPhone. He just stayed to chill with me.

AT&T opened at 8, and workers came down the line with clipboards asking which iPhone we wanted. I told them I wanted a 16gig in black. Only a handful of people after me, and they had to announce to the rest of the line (some of which had been waiting there since around 3:30 or so) that they only had the white 16 gigs left after that point, and after another point, they'd be all out altogether. I was so happy that MG had given me the intel so I could get the phone I wanted. Lucky lucky lucky. I got into the store around 9:45, bought the phone, said goodbye to my new friends, and was on my way home by 10. 8 and a half hours after I got to the store, I left with my new iPhone. I didn't have them set up my phone, and i didn't experience any of the difficulties during activation that people have been talking about.

And now, iPhone and I are experiencing a beautiful new relationship. I think we'll be very happy together.

No comments: